Hello and Happy Friday to All,
I decided a few days ago that I wanted to do some sort of weekly post to celebrate the wonderful things I see each week on medium and in the medium community. I thought about “Follow Fridays,” which many folks do, but that seems too limiting. I want to be able to talk about articles, people, quotes, trends, publications, or whatever else I feel like is deserving of praise in a week.
Why? Because there is too much amazingness out there to not be recognized. Because there is so much I love, and because I feel like I could be doing more to show my love. Many of my favorites don’t need my help or support — I’m still just a little speck in the medium world at this point anyway— but that’s not what this is. This is me showing people that I see them working hard and putting out greatness. This is me simply showing my gratitude that I get to see the result of all of that hard work.
It occurs to me that I could have done “Thankful Thursday.” Perhaps I will give that a shot next week. For now, I’m going to do “My Favorites Friday.” Life is a journey, we’ll see where inspiration takes me.
Today, I’m going to list ten of my favorites in no particular order. They will be numbered, but again, no particular order. They are numbered because if I don’t number them, I will loose count. It will be difficult to limit myself to ten, but I’m going to try. Here we go:
- Nicole Rivera is the reason I am on medium. If it wasn’t for her podcast “Stop Writing Alone,” I wouldn’t have known anything about medium. Additionally, she is a kind, and generous person, and fan-freakin’-tastic fiction writer. I highly recommend checking out her latest beautiful story, Star Rain:
“I wish Mama wouldn’t be sick anymore,” Lila whispered into the night sky draped over her backyard deck. Lila had lost…
2. Next up is Silver Lining, a beautiful poet who helped lead me to some of my favorite publications. Sweet and patient with my newbie questions, this poet is one to follow. Thank you for introducing me to the broader world of medium publications!
3. Tre L. Loadholt — one of my most favorite people on medium. Her publication A Cornered Gurl is also a favorite of mine. More importantly, though, she is kind, patient, and all about the art of writing. She is lovely to work with, and her writing is powerful, emotional, and moving. A million thank yous to Tre wouldn’t be enough.
4. Guérin Asante is one of my very favorite poets and people on medium. He is humble, professional, and the beauty of his poetry is felt medium-wide. I look forward to reading his poetry every day. Not only that, his paintings are exquisite. Guérin is truly an artist by all accounts, and I’m lucky to call him a friend and colleague at the artist’s bench. Though I love all of his poetry, I have a favorite, and it is this one:
She, being she, is everything, over trees, in lonely homes, by streams, she sings above the concrete static, mainlines…
5. Jun Wu — man, where do I start? Jun is community, mentorship, and strength. She publishes in topics that are typically male dominated, and she does so with passion, knowledge, and success. She works and hustles so hard — basically, she is a kick-ass lady. Even with all of that on her plate, she’s there to answer my silly questions. She has connected me to community on medium, and I am infinitely thankful. This poem is one of my favorites:
6. Donna Barker is a powerhouse. Friendly and hilarious, Donna inspires me to be braver. She is willing to put herself out there, and push the envelope further. Not only that, but she does it with grace and respect and humility. It’s beautiful. If you haven’t already, check out this article of hers to see what I mean:
How to Tell if You’re Reading a Misogynistic Rant or Feminist Satire
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar…
7. Frank McKinley and I have just started to get to know over the last week or so, but is quickly becoming a good friend. Frank has perfected the art of the personal/ self-help style essay, in my opinion. So far, this one is my favorite:
The Real Gift The Wizard Gave Dorothy and Her Friends
It’s hiding in plain sight. And it’s yours to use, too.
8. So, here’s a confession — I don’t really like hiakus. I know that’s a big bomb to drop as a poet, but they just really aren’t my favorite. I support my friends when they write them, but I don’t go out of my way to read them. That having been said, Giovanni Sonier is the reason my mind is starting to change. This poem blew my mind. I love it. It moved me. After reading this poem, I’m actually starting to like hiakus more than before. Giovanni you have opened my mind! Seriously — everyone should read this poem. And while you’re there, read everything else he’s ever written too, because he’s excellent.
9. When I think of my favorite articles on medium, this one comes to mind almost immediately. I love it. Seema Hari, I hope you’re ok with me sharing this. If you’re not, I’ll take it off, but I couldn’t write this post without including your article — it is beautiful. Your story moved me. Here it is:
Kali — The Dark One
I randomly met an artist who told me I looked like a sketch of Kali she had made a long time ago. This synchronicity…
10. Adam, Diabetic Cyborg is one of the kindest, most generous people I have encountered on medium. He shares Buddhist wisdom, and helps promote the writing of other folks on medium every single day. He is an inspiration. Please check out his writings and his vlogs — he is deserving of our gratitude, and certainly has mine.
Well, it turns out this week, this list is mostly about people. I didn’t really have a plan, I just went where my heart was taking me. I am thankful for all of these people who have shaped my experience on medium so far. I’m looking forward to continuing some form of this next week!
Have a wonderful weekend.
All the best,